Created on Friday, 20 July 2012 10:11 Published Date Hits: 1878
Now that the Supremes have decreed Obamacare legal, Nancy Pelosi’s words are never more relevant – “Pass the [2,900 page] bill so you can find out what’s in it.” So, what IS in it?
1. One of the largest tax increases in history – 21 separate tax increases and new taxes, 75 percent of which hit the middle class and $500 billion in total tax hikes. Examples: the individual mandate (2.5 percent times gross income); employer mandate ($3,000 per employee); investment income surtax (3.8 percent); Medicare payroll tax hike; medical device sales tax; tax on high-end health plans; insurance premiums tax.
These tax increases when the private sector is already struggling are reason alone for Americans to reject Obamacare. But the tax hikes are only one class of multiple problems with Obamacare.
2. Reduced choices in the variety of insurance coverage available. Leftwing, politically correct mandated coverages based on what D.C. bureaucrats feel must be included in YOUR insurance. Another bureaucrat panel tells doctors what types of care won’t be allowable.
3. Higher cost because of all the new coverages mandated into every policy. Slanted news coverage mentions only trivial objectionable mandates like birth control, but some estimates indicate all mandates combined could double insurance costs. How is this controlling health care costs?
4. Complete loss of economic freedom by forcing you to participate in this snake oil scam – you MUST buy this pork-laden insurance at a pork-laden price.
5. To pay for Obamacare, $500 billion stolen from a Medicare system that’s already broken. Many seniors will see Medicare premiums increase substantially to keep Medicare solvent.
6. A whole new class of serfs – co-dependents on the government dole; receiving government subsidies to help pay these monstrous insurance bills. With the phased-in cutoff at 400 percent of the poverty level ($92,200), most Montanans are now on the government dole. Government won’t pay all the cost of your health insurance – just enough to make you subservient, and quiet, and compliant.
7. One of the biggest government spending programs in history, $1.2 trillion, when we’re already on the verge of bankrupting our children’s future. Including all unfunded liabilities, total federal debt is now $135 trillion. that’s $1.2 million per taxpayer in the entire country.
8. As government-run, economically socialized countries continue to collapse and face financial crisis worldwide, D.C. geniuses have just converted one-sixth of the U.S. economy from the free market system (which produced the greatest medical advances in human history) over to government command-and-control, which punishes productive, healthy people to subsidize those who produce less and consume more on the government dole.
Result – less productivity. America will be one-sixth less productive than it was, and our children and grandchildren will be one-sixth poorer for our stupidity. To quote the genius-in-chief, “We live in the greatest nation in the history of the world … . I hope you’ll join with me, as we change it.”
How did we get here? Insurance companies cut a deal with the D.C. devil. They got government to guarantee them customers through compulsory insurance laws, and they traded off your freedom of choice.
You paid for all sides of this insurance company-big government windfall. Your politicians and new government healthcare provider have just committed political malpractice on a catastrophic scale.