Elva “Tiny” Gunn, 86, who farmed and ranched with her husband and was an active volunteer, died Saturday, May 25, 2013.
She was born Sept. 3, 1926, to Nora (Jackson) and Mathias H. Rapstad, the fifth of nine siblings. Her early years were spent in Ingomar, where she started first grade, moving to the Pompeys Pillar area in 1934. She attended Huntley Project School, graduating in 1944.
Upon graduating, she moved to Custer and worked at the local grocery store. She married William “Bill” Gunn on Aug. 4, 1946, and they farmed and ranched in Custer.
She was active in the Order of Eastern Star Jephthah 116 Chapter, where she was a past worthy matron. She was a Peg-A-Way 4-H leader, Sunday school teacher and Billings Deaconess Hospital volunteer.
She was a member of the Custer Congregational Church, Custer Friendly Circle, North Side Do-Better Homemaker Club, Montana Cattlewomen’s Association, Yellowstone County Cowbelles, Shiloh United Methodist Church, United Methodist Women and American Legion Auxiliary.
Mr. and Mrs. Gunn moved to Billings in 1978, and she worked at Rocky’s Bootery, Cole’s Department Store and Le Boutique. She cared for her husband for more than six years during his illness.
In the past year and a half, she had received care at Jensen Cottage at St. John’s Lutheran Home.
Survivors include a son, Ron Gunn; a daughter, Connie Grammens; six grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and sisters, Thelma Kratochvil and Connie Durfee.
Services will be at 11 a.m. Friday, May 31, at Shiloh United Methodist Church, 1810 Shiloh Road. Interment will be at the Custer Cemetery at 3 p.m. Michelotti-Sawyers Mortuary is in charge of arrangements.
Memorials may be made to the Ronald McDonald House of Billings, 1144 North 30th St., Billings, MT 59101.